Lourie Center School is located at 12301 Academy Way, Rockville, MD 20852.
RatingPlease rate your experience at this school with respect to the following aspects on a scale from 0 to 10.
- Inclusiveness: Does the school have a culture of inclusion and inclusive practices in place (e.g., co-teaching)? Are these practices effectively and systematically implemented?
- Staffing and resources: Does the school have staff and resources to accommodate a wide range of special needs?
- Cooperation: Does the school staff exhibit a cooperative approach by accepting/requesting the parents' input, listening to concerns, and attempting to resolve disagreements?
- Communication: Does the school implement progress monitoring plans? Does the staff regularly communicate with parents with respect to their child's progress and challenges? Is the staff responsive when contacted?
- Academic expectations: Does the staff systematically set high expectations for students with special needs? Does the staff systematically raise expectations when IEP goals are met ahead of time?
Staffing and resources
The Lourie Center is top notch in terms of behavioral approaches, support services, and resources. My son had been to 4 schools in 3 years with worsening behavioral (elopement, suicidal ideation, work refusal, etc.) before going to the Lourie Center and they managed to get him regulated and adjusting to the school environment within two months. The staff are well trained and responsive to each child and to each parent’s needs. There are a variety of techniques and spaces for de-escalation that children can use depending on their needs. Children are expected to perform academically as their peers in public schools and there are resources and alternative teaching methods to help them do that. We’re very happy with the school and wish we could have gone sooner in his academic career.
Comments are closed.